By Patrick Showers, Associate Elementary Pastor
Woodland Hills Church
Have you ever thought about how many volunteers are serving on any given Sunday in our church? Much of church ministry is done by people who willingly give of their time, talents, heart, and love. This equates to a lot of volunteers each week. In Heroes Gate alone, we have over 95 people helping children to be safe, to be loved, and to learn and grow in their faith every Sunday.
Over the course of a year, these volunteers are serving a lot of hours. They don’t do it for money, fame, attention, or any tangible gain. Most are just excited to invest in the next generation.
I’d like to challenge you and your family to show your appreciation for the volunteers in your life this week. They might be part of Heroes Gate, but you could also show appreciation for volunteers with your child’s school or sports team or elsewhere. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Make a card or draw a picture
- Create an encouraging poster
- Bring a yummy treat
- Say thank you in person with a big hug!
- Make a short 10 second video saying thanks
- Snap a photo or selfie with the volunteer and send them a copy of the photo or even make a thank you card out of it
- Share a story of how your child was impacted or encouraged by a volunteer
- Sing a song
I’m sure you could think of many more ideas, but these are a good start. Another great way to appreciate volunteers is to keep them in prayer, asking for encouragement, protection, peace, wisdom, and joy for them and their families.
Take the volunteer appreciation challenge and bless those who serve you and your family!